Hillside Garden Club owes its modest beginnings to Mrs. Julia File and Mrs. Frances Dirom, two young garden-loving friends, who lived across the street from each other on Woodridge Place in Lynchburg and often took a rest time together under an oak tree in Frances’ yard.
One day in the mid 1930s, they invited a few friends to join them. Today no one remembers who participated in those early gatherings, but the club’s first formal minutes, recorded in July of 1935, reflect a membership of twenty-five. Today Hillside Garden Club has over 85 club members that contribute at the local and state level to fulfill its mission.
The object of the Club shall be to stimulate an interest in gardening, to aid in the protection of nature, plants and birds, and to encourage civic planting.
2019 - 2021 Club Officers
Judy Frantz, Kris Lloyd,
BOARD OF DIRECTORS REPRESENTATIVES
Leigh Barth, Lucy Cook
2021 BOARD OF GOVERNORS MEETING
COMMUNICATIONS DATABASE MANAGER
Leigh Barth, Lucy Cook, Sarah Hellewell, Sarah Sorenson, Susan Wright
PROJECTS AND RESTORATION/ ANNE SPENCER GARDEN
Past Presidents of the Hillside Garden Club celebrate c. 1935 at Hillside's
80th Anniversary Luncheon in 2015
Hillside Garden Club and Hillside Garden Club Foundation are recognized as 501 (c) (3) organizations under provisions of the Internal Revenue Code